Season boasts diverse line-up of timeless Masterworks, the first VS Film in Concert, expanded programming in new venues, renowned soloists, and local collaborations.
Victoria B.C. – The Victoria Symphony (VS) proudly announces its 2023/24 Season, running from September 17, 2023 to May 12, 2024 and featuring 34 remarkable concert programs.
The 23/24 Season is set to balance traditional orchestral programs with unexpected musical combinations and exciting special events. Season highlights include Jurassic Park in Concert, some holiday magic from tenor Ken Lavigne, a conclusion to the multi-year exploration of Robert Schumann, a new West Shore concert series, and more.
“We want nothing more than to share our enthusiasm and love of music with you, and to provide you with moments of discovery in return,” says VS CEO Matthew White. “This season you will discover new music, old music in a new light, our local community of arts lovers, gifted artists, and most importantly, yourselves.”
VS Music Director Christian Kluxen adds, “I never cease to feel privileged to step onto the stage with the dedicated musicians of this great orchestra. This season let’s explore the great things we can achieve by moving together through music.”
- Kluxen – Pictures at an Exhibition (September 17): Led by Christian Kluxen and featuring concertmaster of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra Jonathan Crow.
- Harry Potter and Literary Thrillers (October 28 & 29): Led by VS Principal Pops Conductor Sean O’Loughlin and featuring music from Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, Twilight, and more.
- Beethoven Symphony No 7 (November 5): Led by Panamanian-American guest conductor Kalena Bovell and featuring the premiere of a VS/Vancouver Symphony Orchestra co-commission by Metchosin-born composer Cassandra Miller, along with award-winning B.C. guitarist Alan Liu.
- Jurassic Park in Concert (November 9 & 10): Welcome… to Jurassic Park! Projected in HD with a full symphony orchestra, led by Sean O’Loughlin, performing John Williams’ iconic score live to picture.
- Gryphon Trio – Echo: Memories of the World (December 3): A co-presentation of VS and Pacific Opera Victoria. Sponsored by the Farquhar at UVic and Voices in Circle. Featuring the Gryphon Trio, Marion Newman, and Aaron Wells.
- Ken Lavigne – We Need a Little Christmas (December 16 & 18*): Featuring vocalist Ken Lavigne who brings an exciting blend of classical tenor sound and modern style to holiday classics and pop favourites.
*The December 18 performance is at the Dogwood Auditorium, Royal Roads University. This marks the first time VS presents programming to the West Shore.
- Handel’s Messiah (December 15 & 17): The timeless holiday event led by VS Associate Conductor Giuseppe Pietraroia and featuring leading Canadian soloists as well as the Victoria Philharmonic Choir.
- Kluxen – Shostakovich Symphony No. 5 (February 11): A special joint performance featuring the Greater Victoria Youth Orchestra, led by Christian Kluxen and guest conductor Yariv Aloni.
- Bach, Pärt, and Vivaldi (March 17): Led by Giuseppe Pietraroia and featuring some of Victoria’s finest choral groups (Victoria Children’s Choir, Christ Church Cathedral Choristers, Vox Humana Chamber Choir & Friends) for Baroque favourites.
- Jim Witter: It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me (May 4 & 5): Led by Sean O’Loughlin with guest vocalist and pianist Jim Witter bringing you the music of Billy Joel and Elton John.
- Being Robert Schumann Finale: Brahms’ A German Requiem (May 12): A conclusion to the 3-year exploration of Robert Schumann, led by Christian Kluxen and featuring guest soloists Nathalie Paulin, Geoffrey Sirett, and Vox Humana Chamber Choir and Friends.
Plus, three Kids Concerts are back at the Farquhar Auditorium led by Maestro Joey (Giuseppe Pietraroia) and guest conductor Vern Griffiths (April 20 performance only). Guest performers include Classical Kids and Platypus Theatre.
2023/24 Season Subscriptions are now on sale. VS Subscriptions invite you to curate your own musical journey by choosing any five concerts* for a 25% discount on the entire order. This simple format allows audiences to experience the full range of VS offerings across genres and venues.
*Concerts marked as Specials are not included in Season Subscription discount.
For more information and to purchase a subscription please call the VS Box Office at 250-385-6515.
Single tickets for the 2023/24 Season will go on sale Tuesday, August 8, 2023.
The VS gratefully acknowledges 2023/24 Season Underwriters Terry Scandrett and Angela Bassage for their generous gifts. Also, the VS thanks our 2023/24 Season Sponsors and Funders. Platinum Sponsors: Butler Bros, Chateau Victoria, and The Royal & McPherson Theatres Society; Gold Sponsor: Odlum Brown; Funders: British Columbia Arts Council, Province of British Columbia, Canada Council for the Arts, Canadian Heritage, CRD, City of Victoria, Victoria Foundation, and Foundation for the Victoria Symphony; and all individuals whose gifts are helping to support another season of brilliant music.
ABOUT THE VICTORIA SYMPHONY
The Victoria Symphony is a highly versatile Canadian orchestra that inspires, educates, and captivates our community through the transformational power of music. For over 80 years as one of British Columbia’s largest performing arts organizations, the orchestra continues to delight audiences of all ages with repertoire that offers something for everyone.
– 30 –