The Victoria Symphony performs on the traditional lands of the Songhees, Esquimalt, and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day. We extend our respect as well as our appreciation for this opportunity.
Victoria Symphony Society (“VSS”, “we” or “us”) is a British Columbia society.
Collection of Personal Information
We collect personal information from patrons directly, for example when you call our office to purchase tickets for concerts or other VSS events or you respond to our mail-outs, and indirectly, for example when you book concert tickets through the operator of one of our concert venues. VSS and the operators of our concert venues, including Royal & McPherson Theatres Society and University of Victoria as operators of Farquhar Auditorium, use third-party booking platforms to process ticket sales. In doing so, VSS and these operators collect your personal information and may collect and store your credit card information. VSS has access to your name, contact details and your booking history through these booking platforms. While VSS may, at your request, process future purchases or donations using encrypted credit card information stored by these booking platforms with your account information, we do not have access to complete credit card information and we do not retain credit card information that you provide directly to VSS over the phone.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and you voluntarily provide your personal information for those purposes (for example, providing your name and address so we can mail you concert tickets), we only collect, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- To communicate with you about and otherwise manage your membership, ticket purchases, subscriptions, donations and sponsorships.
- To process financial transactions executed directly through VSS rather than through a venue operators’ booking platform, including direct ticket sales, subscription orders and donations.
- To provide you with updates regarding concerts, programs, events, promotions, special offers and news about VSS, unless you have asked us not to do so.
- To thank you for your support of VSS.
- When the collection, use or disclosure of personal information is permitted or required by law.
- In an emergency that threatens an individual’s life, health or personal security.
- When the personal information is available from a public source, such as a telephone directory.
- For the purposes of collecting a debt.
We will not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any other purposes unless we obtain your consent to do so. We do not sell patron lists or personal information to other parties.
Retention and Accuracy of Personal Information
Securing Personal Information
Certain links on our website lead to other websites. These sites are maintained by independent parties over which VSS has no control. We suggest that you review the privacy policies of each website you visit.
Questions and Requests
Effective Date: September, 2020