Education and Community Engagement: Victoria Symphony in the Community
Community and Children’s Programs
VS is committed to enriching lives in our community through the shared experience of extraordinary music. Our Victoria Symphony community programs engage children, youth, aspiring composers and everyone to create a thriving music environment on Vancouver Island.
THESE PROGRAMS HAVE BEEN PAUSED DUE TO COVID-19.
Do you like playing an instrument and working with kids?
Would you like to share your time and talents and make a difference in your community?
Join vsYOUTH Volunteers!
We are a group of high school/university aged volunteers who love playing, learning about and listening to music and enjoy working with kids.
Volunteer responsibilities include:
- Assisting with pre-concert activities like the Instrument Petting Zoo at Concerts for Kids programs through out the season.
- Run the Instrument Petting Zoo at community fairs, special events and for various community groups giving kids the chance to try out instruments of all types.
Benefits & Responsibilities
As a vsYOUTH member, you will:
• Gain valuable experience and develop skills in leadership and teamwork
• Introduce children and others to the world of music and musical instruments
• Make a positive contribution to your community
• Earn work experience/career education hours
• Have the opportunity to meet and learn from VS musicians
• Be exposed to a variety of musical experiences
• Be able to use the VS as a reference for jobs, scholarships and post-secondary school entrance
• Have the opportunity to attend VS concerts for free
Our volunteer hours are flexible and after 10 hours of vsYOUTH service, you are eligible for a reference and FREE Symphony tickets!
Download the vsYOUTH application.
Instrument Petting Zoo
Toot a trumpet! Visit a violin! Cuddle a clarinet!
Welcome to the Instrument Petting Zoo!
The zoo gives children (and adults!) of all ages the opportunity to try a musical instrument. It is a relaxing and fun way to spark a child’s interest in music and gives them a firsthand try of many different instruments.
Supervised by capable vsYOUTH volunteers who are experienced high school/university aged students who love music and enjoy working with kids, Zoo volunteers will guide your child to the right way to hold, blow or bow each instrument.
vsYOUTH bring the Instrument Petting Zoo to Concerts for Kids performances, community events, schools, after-school groups and other youth community groups around Greater Victoria. We run our biggest zoo at the annual Victoria Symphony Splash in the Splash Family Zone!
Music Director Christian Kluxen and Concertmaster Terence Tam are available for speaking engagements.
VS will consider all speaker requests submitted at least 30 days in advance by groups. We cannot guarantee availability and will work with you to make the most appropriate arrangements.
Questions? Please contact Jill Smillie: 250.412.1986 or mail [email protected]
The Victoria Symphony’s Education and Outreach concerts are designed for students in grades K to 7 in Victoria, Saanich, Sooke, Gulf Islands and Cowichan school districts as well as independent and home schools.
These concerts provide fun, accessible and engaging experiences while exposing students to the wonders of live classical music. Over 10,000 elementary school students on the lower Island attend these concerts!
The 2021 Victoria Symphony Education and Outreach concert has been cancelled. We hope to perform for thousands of children in 2022!
We would to recognize Western Coast Insurance Services as our Education and Outreach sponsor. Thank you for your support.