The Victoria Symphony Society is the largest performing arts organization on Vancouver Island with a mission “to enrich lives through the shared experiences of extraordinary music”. We are seeking an experienced and responsible individual to serve as our Operations Manager for nine months commencing September until May, with three additional weeks in the summer of 2021.
The Operations Manager is an important and integral member of the Victoria Symphony team. Reporting directly to the Orchestra Manager and the CEO, the Operations Manager is expected to demonstrate maturity and responsibility in delivering outcomes in a timely and complete fashion that support all artistic performances of the Victoria Symphony.
The Operations Manager will be expected to liaise with the Conductor and all guest artists in ensuring a positive experience and providing essential support in all matters related to their respective performances. In addition and of significant importance, the Operations Manager is responsible to ensure that all logistics and equipment are in place for the orchestra.
During the 2020-2021 virtual season, the Operations Manager will be responsible for the strict adherence to and execution of all protocols related to the COVID pandemic as determined by the Provincial Health Officer and the University of Victoria. This includes providing direction and guidance to all orchestra members as they enter and exit the Farquhar Auditorium and during all rehearsals.
The overall responsibilities of this position may be adjusted from time to time. The Operations Manager will have oversight for the following:
- Set-up, running and tear-down of all rehearsals and performances, in coordination with venue crews; supervising and approval of crew overtime
- Cue calling for rehearsals and performances when needed
- Preparation of detailed venue/crew budgets and sign-off on venue invoices in collaboration with the CEO
- Communication with venues regarding dates, times, and other applicable information
- Responsibility for all moving, maintenance and storage of the Symphony’s instruments, music stands, lights, chairs and other equipment
- Rental of equipment for the Victoria Symphony use when required
- Rental of Victoria Symphony equipment to third parties when requested
- Responsibility for driving, fueling and maintenance of the Symphony’s truck, and in possession of a valid driver’s license.
The Operations Manager will be responsive to emails, phone calls and text messages in a timely fashion and in general be reachable to discuss or respond to unforeseen circumstances or schedule changes. The Operations Manager will be in regular contact with the Orchestra Manager, providing updates and communication as required, and will be present for all rehearsals and performances of the Victoria Symphony.
Demonstrated success in stage management and knowledge of technical aspects of live performance.
A college diploma or university degree is desirable, as well as some knowledge of classical music.
Interested persons should contact Kathryn Laurin, CEO at [email protected]
Closing date for applications is Friday August 14th, 2020.