Victoria Symphony – Summer Festival Event Assistant
The Event Assistant will be responsible for assisting in the planning and production of the Victoria Symphony’s Splash Around Town – Symphony in the Summer Festival. Working with the Event Manager, Production Managers, and Volunteer Coordinator, the Event Assistant will help implement plans for this downtown Victoria event attended by over 40,000 annually. The Assistant will also be the representative of the Victoria Symphony at all of its Symphony in the Summer performances in the two weeks leading up to the main event. As well as practical experience with the planning of the event, the Event Assistant will gain experience working with volunteers.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
Event Assistance & Administration
- Attend weekly meetings regarding the planning of Victoria Symphony Splash
- Complete specific tasks as directed by Event Manager
- Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to ensure that all areas are equipped with prepared supply boxes
- Maintain inventories of supplies and merchandise
- Be a Victoria Symphony expert at information/sales tables at various Symphony in the Summer events
- Some general office admin and other related tasks as required
- Recruit food vendors to participate in Victoria Symphony Splash
- Process fee payments and donations from vendors
- Ensure vendor policy is upheld both before and during the event
- Keep accurate records of insurance and health and safety documents of vendors
- Lead a team of volunteers at Victoria Symphony Splash
- Assist at evening volunteer orientations
- Help organize a volunteer appreciation party
- Under the direction of the Volunteer Coordinator, ensure that volunteer appreciation gifts are prepared prior to event
- Attend the volunteer appreciation party as a staff representative
- Excellent communication skills and comfort interacting with member of the public
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills, ideally in Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and problem solve
- Adaptability and flexibility in fast-paced environments
- Able to successfully manage multiple tasks
- Self-motivated, pro-active, strategic, collaborative and have good follow-through skills
- Experience in Arts Management, Non-Profit Management, Fundraising, or Event Management an asset
The position will be full-time for approximately 12 weeks, primarily in the Victoria Symphony offices. Partial remote work may be available, however the successful candidate must have full availability in Victoria from July 11 – August 7 2022.
Remuneration: $18.00 – $20.00/hour, commensurate with experience
Anticipated Start Date: June 6 2022
Deadline for submissions is April 29 2022. Applications will be reviewed, and interviews scheduled, as they are received. Only prospective candidates will be contacted.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, including 2 professional references, to firstname.lastname@example.org. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
The Victoria Symphony hires based on merit and is committed to employment equity, diversity and inclusion. We welcome all applications from women, racialized persons/persons of colour, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.