DAVIDSON COMMISSION FOR NEW ORCHESTRAL MUSIC
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Project Description: The Victoria Symphony is excited to announce the Davidson Commission for New Orchestral Music! One successful applicant will be commissioned by the Victoria Symphony to compose a new 8-10 minute orchestral work for the Victoria Symphony’s 2017/18 season. The application has no age restrictions and is open to all Canadian composers and permanent residents of Canada. Applications will be judged by a jury of professional composers and musicians. The commission is inspired by the legacy of the late Hugh Hanson Davidson, a long-time Victoria resident and major supporter of new Canadian music.
Compensation: The successful composer will be paid a commission fee of $7500 for their 8-10 minute piece. In addition, the composer will receive online streaming rights to the recording of their piece for a period of up to one year subject to the orchestra’s approval. A copyist fee of up to $1000 will be provided as well as economy round trip air and accommodation.
Instrumentation: The commissioned work will have a maximum instrumentation of 2222/4231/T-2/Pno/Str with standard wind doublings.
August 15, 2017 – Deadline for submissions
Sept. 10, 2017 – Notification of successful applicant and announcement
January 15, 2018 – Due date for commissioned work
April 7, 2018 – Premiere date
The commissioned composer should be available for pre-concert and onstage talks about their work.
Application Process: Applicants will submit the following materials in a single email to [email protected] by August 15, 2017.
• Resume of no more than three pages and List of Compositions
• A single Word or PDF document with DropBox links to scores and recordings of three compositions. At least one of the compositions should be for orchestra or large ensemble and at least one of them should have been written in the past five years.
• Please provide responses to the following questions in a single PDF or Word document (maximum of 250 words each):
1. If awarded the Davidson Prize, the piece you write should fit in with the program provided below. How would you plan on planning this?
2. How would an opportunity, such as the Davidson Commission, be useful for your career at this point?
Any questions regarding the application can be directed to Rachael Blaseckie at [email protected]
The Victoria Symphony is an organization dedicated to diversity and welcomes applications from composers of all races, ethnicities, gender-identities, sexual orientations and those who are disabled.
Explorations 2 – April 7, 2018
Bill Linwood, conductor
Brian Yoon, cello
New Work – Davidson Commission
Oscar Morawetz – Memorial to Martin Luther King (50 year anniversary of his death April 4th 2018) (solo cello: Brian Yoon)
Jocelyn Morlock: Earthfall (2015)
John Adams – Doctor Atomic Symphony (2005)